Friday, January 25, 2013

Working Out with Tony

Tony Horton that is.

Tony and I started a 90(ish) day journey about two weeks ago into the world of at-home strength training. I have been meaning to tell you guys about this, but somehow the post just hasn't gotten written until now! I've done the P90x program before, but this time around I want to write a few blog posts about it.

image source: amazon.com

My starting point:
Although I was still regularly working out at the gym, I felt like I was mostly maintaining strength rather than improving. The P90x program focuses on muscle confusion, and therefore an increase in both muscle and cardiovascular fitness. I thought completing this routine again could change things up for me and improve my muscular strength all around.

I won't be following Tony's plan to a T because I want to make sure I have enough time to fit in cardio (running!) workouts (for half marathon training!). So, instead of completing the plyos, kenpo or core synergistics workouts, on some of these "cardio" days I will go for a run or a swim. I also plan to go to yoga at my gym most weeks instead of completing that DVD. In addition, on running race weeks, I may take off from doing the legs day right before the race.

Finally, I also won't be following the nutrition plan. Instead, I will focus on healthy daily eating and limiting unhealthy foods in my own way. While I realize this will probably not allow me to have the best results possible, I want to make sure I am leading a sustainable lifestyle rather than going on a "diet".

In my previous rounds of the program I never made before and after measurements, but this time I am because I'm interested in how much I will improve. (Side note: I don't like to worry too much about weight or size, and I don't think we should compare ourselves to each other, but I am hoping to show some measurable results.)

Overall my goal of completing this round of P90x is to tone up and encourage a total body workout. I have also been struggling a bit at the gym, so I think this will be a good change for me right now.

image source: amazon.com

Measurements & Before Photos
Day 1:

Looking at my before photos, I think I could maybe improve right away by working on my posture! 

Waist (at narrowest part): 29 inches
Hips (at widest part): 37.5 inches
Thighs: 21 inches
Biceps: 12 inches

I will post some thoughts after each month of the program to let you know how it is going and some of my reactions to it.

Keep Pushin' Play!

Anyone else have strength related goals they are working on? 

3 comments:

  1. Wicked! I'm so excited to hear about your P90X journey :D

    Yeah... comparing sizes has always been a tough one for me just because I'm 5'8" and hence proportionally bigger. I wrote a whole post about it and there's a reason why stores for "tall" women don't sell anything lower than a size 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so interested to hear about this!
    I've done parts of his program with friends and found it soooo incredibly hard. It's one serious workout!

    Also, thanks soo much on the fueling advice - I was surprised that quite a lot of people didn't really do much in that area, like me! I think (hope), it'll help improve my running though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done this program, but I have heard good things. I will be interested in seeing your results!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...